Not less than fifty supporters of the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, were attacked in the presidential convoy and left injured on Wednesday by hoodlums in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno.
According to verified reports, the attack on Atiku’s convoy occured immediately the former vice president of Nigeria left the Palace of the Shehu of Borno to Ramat Square which was the venue of the presidential rally.
However, the injured supporters were quickly rushed to the hospital.
Confirming the attack, the spokesman of the Atiku’s campaign council, Senator Dino Melaye said that about 174 PDP supporters were attacked and injured, while about 100 vehicles that were in the convoy were vandalized.
The PDP presidential candidate while addressing his supporters, expressed his sympathy to those who were injured, while stressing that no matter the intimidations, the PDP will remove the All Progressives Congress (APC) from Aso Rock and from the Borno State Government House in the forthcoming 2023 general elections.
The Police Public Relations Officer of Borno State, Kamaldeen Mohammed while responding to the attack said that a suspect had been arrested.
Those in company with the Atiku Abubakar to Borno State were PDP vice presidential candidate and Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, Governor of Adamawa state, Ahmadu Fintiri, former governor of Jigawa State, Sule Lamido, and other delegate of the party.